Friday, May 25, 2012

"The Testers"

Ari Dolan's bus arrived twenty minutes late. At work, his boss awarded Tanya the Burke account. Home again, he found his AC dead. He ground his teeth, murmuring invectives.

Mercifully, he didn't see the testers beside him. Their horror -- or beauty? -- could break minds.

Ydrysl untwined fingers (talons?) from spacetime. "Not bad. Perhaps he'll pass."

The Unnameable scowled (smiled?). no. guilt binds all. even me. Its frozen (molten?) eyes found Ydrysl. even you.

If Ydrysl were human, he might've flushed. "What hope has he?"

The Unnameable looked burdened (wistful?). i don't know. but it must come from outside of us.

The Testers by I Saw Lightning Fall

Postscript: If the above widget is giving you trouble, visit ISLF's Soundcloud page or consider subscribing to the podcast to listen to audio recordings of this and other stories.

4 comments:

Chestertonian Rambler said...

I mis-read "Ydrysl" as "Yggdrasil." When one confuses the C'thulhu-like Satan-from-Job figure with the Nordic world-tree, things only become more trippy.

Loren Eaton said...

Oh, that's funny. I was trying for a name with as few vowels as possible. I didn't even think of that connection.

By the way, who said that Satan was involved in this piece at all? ;-)

Chestertonian Rambler said...

I didn't necessarily say that the Satan was behind this, just that these creatures seem to wander the world, seeking those they may accuse. :-D

Loren Eaton said...

Hmmm. Interesting ...

I was experimenting with this one, and I'm not sure I properly communicated what I was aiming for.