Friday, March 23, 2012

"Kobaloi"

Don't offer them anything and you'll misplace car keys or lose morning papers. Suss out missing socks, and you'll pay more. The kobaloi always get their due.

I once counted the baker's dozen. I password-protected documents. Then I came home to find my wife gone. I discovered a button from her blouse, a broken high heel, a lock of her hair. And I thought I heard a laugh echo through that empty house, plangent, piercing and cold.

I've stopped updating my antivirus software. I scatter change on the kitchen counter. The kobaloi can have what they want.

Anything at all.

Kobaloi by I Saw Lightning Fall

Postscript: If the above widget is giving you trouble, visit ISLF's Soundcloud page or consider subscribing to the podcast to listen to audio recordings of this and other stories.

4 comments:

dolorah said...

Loved it. Is there more? I think I better go put some change out now.

......dhole

Jackie Jordan said...

Yes, the Kobaloi must be a distant cousin to the Cajun Rugaroo who needs to be bribed with sweet treats, money and jewelry in order for there to be peace. You've written an interesting piece here.

Loren Eaton said...

Donna,

And socks! They seem to really like socks.

Loren Eaton said...

Jackie,

That may be. From my (very limited) research, it seems that similar creatures show up in a lot of mythologies.