Friday, August 17, 2012

"Sustainable"

The camera pans past rows of soybeans to Derek Woodall's lined face.

"I supported the Act. It promised sustainability. No pesticides, no hormones." He sighs. "Prices skyrocketed. Supply didn't. The Act was strict. Figure I'm the last organic grower around here." He points out of the frame. "Of course, those showed up."

Cut to a gray sapling, its laden boughs sagging. Zoom to its skinless, hole-pocked fruit.

"Simpler to generip people than food. The Act only covered ‘in-ground organics.' I bought the ‘Full Spectrum Digestible' package. Ever had pumice? Myself, I'm a granite man. But there's no accounting for taste."

Sustainable / To Each According by I Saw Lightning Fall

Postscript: If the above widget is giving you trouble, visit ISLF's Soundcloud page or consider subscribing to the podcast to listen to audio recordings of this and other stories.

No comments: