Friday, December 2, 2011

Music To Write By: Sarah McLachlan's "Wintersong"

Why listen? For an Advent lament; musical arrangement befitting the season; an illustration of how to balance of sadness and sweetness.



Even though we in sunny south Florida only get a tiny taste of winter, I still remember those Kentucky Decembers on the farm, when water could freeze in the horses' buckets and the wind would cut like a knife and you could wake up one morning to a world suddenly gone white. Few songs capture the loveliness and melancholy of the season quite as well as Sarah McLachlan's "Wintersong." This Advent lament for a lost love skirts close to sentimentality in places, but ultimately avoids it through poignant reflection on personal pain. The arrangement is spare as a leaf-stripped bough, McLachlan's voice warm as a seat by the blazing hearth. A good way to usher in the most beautifully bleak time of the year.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

She is ethereal, isn't she?

Loren Eaton said...

She really has a sound all her own. I've never heard anything quite like it.

Chestertonian Rambler said...

I love her live Mirrorball CD.

In other news, it sounds like you're bearing up for Advent Ghosts. I just realized that I quite look forward to that yearly contest, even though I have no idea what I am going to write about. (My first thought was a man adjusting to the reality of "incarnating" his personality into a computer system, but I'm not sure I can pull off a real story from that, much less a real one-page story.)

Loren Eaton said...

The Advent Ghosts are coming! Hopefully gonna get the invite up today.